The Presidential election of Paralympic Committee of Nigeria held on Tuesday, 15th January 2019 has been dubbed fraudulent, full of irregularities and outcome totally rejected by the President of Para-powerlifting Federation of Nigeria, Queen Obuh.
Rejecting the election in its entirety, Queen Obuh told newsmen that the process of the election subverts the constitution and guidelines for election into the body.
The Para-powerlifting Federation of Nigeria President, Obuh who is one of the presidential candidates said delegates for the election were handpicked within the National Stadium venue of the election instead of from federations across the six geopolitical zones of the country as stipulated by the constitution of PCN.
She said: “One of the zonal representatives claimed Para Tennis but to my amazement Kano State Director of Sports said they don’t do such sport in Kano.
“The elections lacked merit in all ramifications and the evidences are there. Most of the zonal representatives were not eligible to vote. Most of them were hand-picked by the officials of the Sports Ministry on the Election Day.
According to PCN election guideline, “The elections will be conducted by the electoral committee which shall comprise not more than (5) five persons and not less than (3) three persons or members.
“The Elections shall be monitored by the representatives of Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development and members of the Nigerian Olympic Committee.”
Furthermore, it was clearly stated in the Conduct of Election in the Guideline for the election that “The chairman of states Para Sports Associations or The Director of state sports council/Commission shall Authenticate the zonal candidates letter for the zonal election, but all these were fragrantly flaunted.
The most shocking according to Obuh is why the election should be conducted by the Ministry instead of playing observatory role as the constitution stipulates.
Recounting her experience, Lucy Ejike, the team captain of Para-powerlifting of Nigeria said she stood for Athletes Representative election on the 10th of January against Flora Ugonwa which was declared inconclusive but to her dismay, at the PCN presidential election yesterday, Flora Ugunnwa was called to vote as Athletes Representative.
Here is the full list of winners at the just concluded 2018 Confederation of African Football awards which held last night in Dakar, Senegal.
Asisat Oshoala lost to Chrestinah Kgatlana in the women category, while Mohamed Salah won the 2018 CAF African Player of the Year award for the second time in a row, after scoring 44 goals for Liverpool and Egypt in 2018.
The Super Falcons of Nigeria were named the Women’s national team of the year after their exploits at the 2018 AWCON. As we can all recall, the Falcons against all odds defeated Banyana Banyana of South Africa 4-3 on penalties in a spectacular game.
Check out the full list of winners at the 2018 CAF awards below;
- Player of the Year: Mohamed Salah (Egypt, Liverpool/ENG)
- Women’s player of the Year: Chrestinah Kgatlana (South Africa)
- Youth player of the Year: Achraf Hakimi (Morocco)
- Coach of the Year: Herve Renard (Morocco)
- Women’s coach of the Year: Desiree Ellis (South Africa)
- National team of the year: Mauritania
- Women’s national team of the year: Nigeria
- Goal of the Year: Chrestinah Kgatlana (South Africa)
- Africa All Stars: Denis Onyango (Uganda); Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast), Medhi Benatia (Morocco), Eric Bailly (Ivory Coast), Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal); Thomas Partey (Ghana), Naby Keita (Guinea), Riyad Mahrez (Algeria); Sadio Mane (Senegal), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon), Mohmaed Salah (Egypt)
English football star Wayne Rooney was arrested in December at Dulles Airport outside Washington, D.C. in the U.S. for public intoxication, according to local police.
Rooney, who has played for U.S. football club DC United since last year, was booked into the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center on Dec. 16, on a charge of public intoxication.
The charge stemmed from an arrest by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police, the local sheriff’s office said.
The 33-year-old Rooney was released later the same day on a personal recognisance bond, said Kraig Troxell, a spokesman for the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office.
It was not immediately clear why authorities had delayed details of Rooney’s arrest for more than two weeks.
Rooney’s agent could not be reached immediately for comment.
Also, DC United did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Rooney, England’s former captain and all-time top goalscorer, joined the Major League Soccer (MLS) club in mid-2018 in a deal that was reportedly worth more than $12 million.
It made him the highest paid player in DC United’s history.
Liverpool-born Rooney was the latest addition to an elite list of former England captains to hop across the Atlantic, following David Beckham and Steven Gerrard.
Rooney burst into the consciousness of English football when he made his English Premier League debut for Everton at age 16.
He joined Manchester United for $35 million in 2004 and stayed there for 13 seasons.
There, the forward won five English titles, one UEFA Champions League, one FA Cup, three League Cups and became the club’s all-time leading goalscorer with 253 goals.(Reuters/NAN)
FIFA should if possible increase the size of the football World Cup in Qatar in 2022 to 48 from 32 teams, the global governing body’s president Gianni Infantino has said.
Last month, Infantino said a majority of national football federations were in favour of expanding the tournament and a decision was expected ahead of the qualifying draw in March.
Infantino, speaking at a sports conference on Wednesday, also said FIFA was seeing whether it would be possible for some of Qatar’s Gulf neighbours to host some of the matches.
He said last month that it would be “difficult” to stage an expanded tournament in Qatar alone.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt launched a diplomatic and trade boycott of Qatar in June 2017 which has complicated the prospect of sharing the tournament.
The countries accuse Qatar of supporting terrorism.
However, the tiny but wealthy Arab nation has since denied this.
FIFA voted in 2017 to increase the size of the tournament from 32 to 48 teams, starting from 2026.
But, since then, Infantino has been mulling the possibility of bringing the change forward to 2022.
“If you think it’s a good thing to have 48 teams in the World Cup, why not try four years before. That’s why we are analyzing whether it’s possible to have 48 teams already in 2022,” Infantino said.
“The World Cup will take place in Qatar with 32 teams. Obviously, if we can increase it to 48 teams and make the world happy, we should try it.”
Qatar said it would not take a final decision on the tournament expansion until it has seen details of a feasibility study from FIFA.
The study is expected to discuss aspects of scheduling, the number of required venues, training sites, and how many games per day would be played under an expanded format.
Qatar has moved ahead with ambitious plan to scale up infrastructure ahead of the 2022 tournament that includes $6 billion to $8 billion on eight stadiums and sporting facilities.
“If we can accommodate some of the neighboring countries in the gulf region, which are very close by, to host a few games in the World Cup this could be very beneficial for the region and the entire world,” Infantino added.
“There is tension in this particular region and it’s up to their respective leaders to deal with that. But maybe it’s easier to talk about a joint football project than more complicated things.
“If it can help all the people in the Gulf and all the countries in the world develop football and bring a positive message to the world about football, then you should give it a try.”
New World Boxing Federation (WBF) Intercontinental super featherweight champion Segun “The Machine” Wahab, has declared readiness to win the boxing body’s world title very soon.
Wahab won the WBF Intercontinental title after defeating his Tanzanian opponent, Issa “Peche Boy” Nampepeche, at GOtv Boxing Night 17, last Friday at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos.
The unanimous decision victory entitles Wahab, who fought in Nigeria for the first time, to have a shot at the world title, currently held by Rwanda’s Patrick Kinigamazi.
The Nigerian boxer said he was delighted at winning the vacant Intercontinental super featherweight belt, but said his attention has now shifted to winning the WBF world title.
“It was great to win the title in my first fight at home, a truly remarkable moment. However, I now have to concentrate on how I can win the WBF super featherweight world title. I am now a contender for the title, so I am intensifying my preparations to ensure I get the biggest prize in the weight division,” he said.
Wahab thanked GOtv Boxing Night for providing him with the opportunity to showcase his skills and win the title at home. He also thanked Nigerians for coming out en masse to support him during the fight, promising them that he would make the country proud by winning the world title.
National and West African Boxing Union (WABU) lightweight champion, Rilwan “Real One” Oladosu, has expressed delight over his emergence as best boxer at GOtv Boxing Night 17, which held at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos, on Friday. The best boxer award fetched him N3million in cash prize along with the Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial Trophy. It is the second time the flamboyant boxer would be winning the prize.
His previous one earned him N2.5 million. Speaking in Lagos on Monday, Oladosu, thanked Mr. Adewunmi Ogunsanya, Chairman, MultiChoice Nigeria and GOtv Boxing, for increasing the prize money from N1.5million to N3million. According to him, the cash prize for the best boxer has had the effect of changing the lives of winners. “This is very commendable.
The boxing community in Nigeria should be grateful to the sponsors and Mr. Ogunsanya for their interest in the welfare of Nigerian Boxing and boxers. This is life-changing and I will forever be grateful for this gesture, which will motivate me to aim at greater things,” he said.
A total of eight fights, including the World Boxing Federation (Intercontinental) super featherweight title bout, were staged at the event, which also featured lovely musical performances by Burna Boy, Wande Coal, Teni da Entertainer, Daddy Showkey and T Classic.
Nigeria’s Segun “The Machine” Wahab emerged as the World Boxing Federation (WBF) Intercontinental super featherweight champion on Friday after defeating his Tanzanian opponent, Issa “Peche Boy” Nampepeche, at GOtv Boxing Night 17.
Wahab got a unanimous decision victory from the judges after dominating the 12-round fight, which held at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos. He now has a chance to take a shot at the WBF world title at the weight division.
Also, Rilwan “Real One” Oladosu, won the Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial Trophy for the best boxer on the night and claimed the cash prize of N3 million after he knocked out Mubarak “Morgan” Hamzat in a national lightweight contest.
Oladosu, the reigning West African Boxing Union (WABU) lightweight champion, matched his pre-bout boasts as his rapid, all-action style saw him knock out his opponent in the first round.
Another entertaining contest saw US-based Nigerian, Oluwafemi “The Eagle” Oyeleye, defeat his Ghanaian opponent, Victus Kemavor, in a middleweight challenge.
Olaide “Fijaborn” Fijabi enhanced his reputation as he defeated Yusuf “Murphy” Mufutau in a national light welterweight challenge. Mufutau threw in the towel eighth round, the bout’s last round.
In another action-packed contest, reigning African Boxing Union champion (ABU), Oto “Joe Boy” Joseph, secured a unanimous decision victory over Hammed “Ese” Hammed Ganiyu in a national light weight challenge. Joseph maintained his cool as he was forced to go the distance of eight rounds fight by his hard-hitting opponent.
Other bouts saw Ridwan “Scorpion” Oyekola knockout Nurudeen “Prince” Fatai in a national superfeatherweight challenge, Femi Akintayo crushed Ebubechukwu “Coded Man” in the fourth round of their national middlewight challenge, while 18-year old Opeyemi “Sense” Adeyemi, defeated Saheed “Gbeminiyi Ahmed in a national bantamweight contest.There were also spectacular musical performances on the night from some of Nigeria’s biggest music stars: Burna Boy, Wande Coal, Teni Da Entertainer and Daddy Showkey, as well as a lively display from upcoming act, OJ Flames.
MultiChoice Africa, through SuperSport, has acquired the rights to air the 2018/19 Emirates FA Cup season on DStv and GOtv in Sub-Saharan Africa. The season, which kicked off in August 2018, will commence in 2019 with third-round matches from 4 January 2019.
“Our aim is to deliver a front-row view of the best football titles in the world for our valued DStv and GOtv customers so, from 4 January 2019, they will be able to enjoy the Emirates FA Cup on SuperSport channels,” says John Ugbe – CEO of MultiChoice Nigeria.
Customers will get access to the third round of FA Cup from 4 – 6 January alongside MultiChoice’s other major football title acquisitions, the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga and Champions League! And if you’re on-the-go, you can stream all the live football action on the DStv Now app to watch from wherever you are.
This announcement follows the recent announcement of the UFC which will also begin airing on SuperSport from January 2019. “All these acquisitions are part of our continuous efforts to put our customers at the heart of everything we do by making sure we deliver quality service and the world’s best entertainment at great value to our customers.”
The much anticipated 17th edition of GOtv Boxing Night (GOtv Boxing Night 17) holds today at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos. The event, a confluence of boxing and music, will feature eight bouts and live musical performances by Burna Boy, Wande Coal, Teni Da Entertainer and Daddy Showkey. The headline bout is the World Boxing Federation (Intercontinental) super featherweight title between Nigeria’s Seun “The Machine” Wahab and Issa “Peche Boy” Nampeche of Tanzania. In the other international duel, Ghana’s Victor Kemavor will confront US-based Nigerian, Femi “The Eagle” Oyeleye. The domestic scene is represented by top stars like Olaide “Fijaborn” Fijabi, Oto “Joe Boy” Joseph, Rilwan “Real One” Oladosu, Nurudeen “Prince” Fatai and Ridwan “Scorpion” Oyekola among others. The best boxer at the event will win a cash prize of N1. 5million.
Flykite Productions, organisers of GOtv Boxing Night, have reached an agreement with commercial bus operators to move fans from the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos, at the end of the 17th edition of the event (GOtv Boxing Night 17), which holds on Friday.
According to the organisers, the transportation arrangement has been made to make it easy for fans to return to their various homes when the show ends at night. The agreement with transporters will see them make their buses available outside the venue to move fans from there right up to Ojota. Fans who use the buses are expected to pay the fares.
A spokesman of the organisation explained that the event, which will feature eight fights, including a World Boxing Federation (Intercontinental) super featherweight title fight and musical performances by Burna Boy, Wande Coal, Teni da Entertainer and Daddy Showkey, is a cross between boxing and party.
“This event is conceived to provide maximum festive season entertainment. We have made arrangements with bus operators to provide vehicles to move fans from the venue after the show. This is to ensure that fans do not endure difficulty on their journey back home. We have also made arrangements with LASTMA to ensure smooth traffic flow. Security in and around the venue will be top-notch,” he said.