President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Mr Shadrach Haruna as the new Secretary of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).
The National and State Assembly election petitions tribunal sitting in Umuahia, Abia State, has nullified the election of Senator Orji Uzor Kalu.
The three-man tribunal led by Justice Cornelius Akintayo, ordered the supplementary election while giving judgment in a petition brought before it by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the election, Mao Ohuabunwa, who had challenged the victory of the Senate Chief Whip, Orji Kalu, in the senatorial election.
Kalu was declared winner of the election by the returning officer, Dr. Charles Anumudu, which Ohuabunwa described as “excess electoral fraud and broad daylight robbery.”
The first batch of 320 Nigerians for evacuation from South Africa aboard Air Peace Airlines is expected to arrive the Murtala Muhammed International Airport on Wednesday, Chairman of the airline Mr Allen Onyema has disclosed.
The returnees, Onyema said, will touch down at the cargo wing of the Lagos Airport in collaboration with the airport and other security agencies.
He said the first batch is part of the over 700 Nigerians so far captured to be brought back home by the indigenous carrier.
Speaking in a telephone interview in Lagos, Onyema said the carrier has secured the necessary approvals from the relevant aviation and other authorities in Nigeria and South Africa for the exercise.
He said the aircraft deployed for the operations and its crew will depart Nigeria Tuesday to return Wednesday in the afternoon.
The aircraft, he said, will return to South Africa Wednesday to return with other Nigerians that could not be accommodated in the first batch.
According to investigations, the cargo wing of the Lagos International Airport is already in preparatory mood to receive the returnees.
According to a source, officials of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) and others are already on the alert for the operations.
Giving further details on the operations, Onyema said: “Air Peace is fully mobilised for the operations to return Nigerian stranded in South Africa.
“Our mission is a patriotic offer to support the government and save the lives of Nigerians. Our crew will depart Lagos on Tuesday and return with the first batch of 320 on Wednesday. It is going to be a back- to- back operations until the over 700 so far captured are air lifted home.” (The Nation)
Arla Foods, makers of Dano Milk, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Kaduna state government for the supply of raw milk, TheCable can report.
The agreement will see 1,000 local farmers get permanent farmlands with access to water from the state and federal government while Arla, as the commercial partner, would purchase, collect, process and take the local milk to the market.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) recently announced that it would no longer provide foreign exchange for milk importation, saying it believed that local farmers can be supported to meet demand.
Commenting on the partnership, Nasir el-Rufai, Kaduna state governor, said: “We are pleased to collaborate with Arla Foods to grow and further improve our nation’s dairy industry. With our different competencies, together we can empower local farmers and promote market-driven sustainable dairy development in Nigeria”.
Steen Hadsbjerg, vice president, sub-Saharan Africa region for Arla Foods, said the partnership will build Nigeria’s dairy sector and “achieve Arla’s ambitions in West Africa”.
The partnership aims to help the farmers get permanent grazing areas of continuously moving in search of grazing areas with opportunities for expansion while also helping them to secure infrastructure like roads, power and water that are necessary to process and get the milk to consumers.
The project would primarily be funded by loans provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria and guaranteed by the Kaduna government, while Arla would invest in establishing milk collection centres in its pivotal role as a processor of the milk produced by the farmers.
This new public-private partnership is a sequel to the success of a collaboration initiated in 2016 with Kaduna state, the federal government, Arla and some NGOs which include Care, the Danish Agricultural and Food Council, the local dairy cooperative MILCOPAL and the Nigerian pastoralist organisation, Coret.
The collaboration was a five-year project called the Milky Way Partnership to develop a socially, environmentally and economically sustainable dairy value chain. (The Cable)
President Buhari has approved the appointment of Mr Shadrach Haruna as the new Secretary of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) with immediate effect.
According to a statement by the NDLEA Head of public affairs, Jonah Achema, he said that Haruna replaced Mrs Roli George whose tenure expired in June 2018. Achema said that the secretary is the head of the Secretariat charged with the responsibility of administrative duties, keeping the books, setting agenda and implementing decisions.
Achema said that Haruna was an accomplished national and international legal practitioner, adding that he was the former Federal Counsel and a prosecutor with the Federal Ministry of Justice. He said that until his appointment, Haruna was a criminal justice expert and legal adviser in the Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
British Airways has told its passengers not to turn up at airports as the biggest strike action in the airline’s 100-year history begins today, September 9, 2019.
The company was accused by union bosses of bullying its own staff. As a result, over 1,500 flights have been cancelled as union bosses have warned that they could continue the action until the end of the year.
About 280,000 people will be affected by the strike which is set to continue on Tuesday, costing the airline £80m in lost revenue.
BA and The British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA) are clashing after the union rejected a proposed 11.5 per cent pay rise for its pilots, taking their pay package to around £200,000 a year.
BALPA says that BA “has resorted to breaking agreements and threatening pilots who will strike, which is bound to make matters worse” after they emailed their 4,300 pilots on Friday warning that strike action would be a “serious breach” of their contract.
British Airways also threatened to withdraw a travel perk – where staff can book tickets for ten per cent of the full fare plus taxes – for three years if they chose to strike.
BALPA branded the airline’s behaviour “illogical and irresponsible” and “will further deepen the fall out with their pilots.”
Flights to New York, Delhi, Hong Kong and Johannesburg have all been affected, with the airline telling passengers: “If your flight is cancelled, please do not go to the airport.”
Travellers have been offered other options, including full refunds, flights on different carriers, or the option to fly on a different date. But they have been warned not turn up at the airport without a confirmed flight.
British Airways said on Sunday: “We’re extremely sorry for the problems caused by the strike action called by the pilots’ union, BALPA on 9, 10 and 27 September.
“We continue to be available for constructive talks with BALPA, on the basis that there are no pre-conditions to those talks.
“If you have a flight booked with us on those dates, it is likely that you will not be able to travel as planned due to BALPA’s strike action. We are offering all affected customers full refunds or the option to re-book to another date of travel or alternative airline.”
The Canadian Government has again invited 3,600 Express Entry candidates to apply for CanadianPermanent Residence (PR) in a new draw held on 4th of September 2019. This is contained in Canada’s latest Immigration Newsletter.
- The latest draw brings the total number of Invitations to Apply (ITAs) issued this year to 59,800. It should, however, be noted that the minimum Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for this draw is 463, an increase of six points over the previous draw in August.
Further breakdown: The tie break of 463 used in the latest draw means that all candidates with CRS scores above 463, as well as those with scores of 463 who entered their profiles in the Express Entry pool before August 23rd, received an ITA. Below is the minimum CSR score required and number of ITAs issued in the last two months.
Diversity for international students: The Canadian Government has introduced a new five-year international education strategy which gives room for greater diversity, innovation and global ties. Essentially, the strategy aims to diversify where international students study in Canada, thus bringing foreign talent to locations that usually receive fewer immigrants than large urban centres.
Recently, a report from the government showed that more than 50% of Canada’s international students came from China and India, and they are concentrated in large cities such as Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver.
More immigrants are welcome: By 2021, the Canadian Government plans to welcome 350,000 new permanent residents. In 2018, the total admission targets for all immigration categories was 310,000. By 2019, the total admission target had been increased to 330,800.
According to Canada’s Multi-Year Immigration Plan, covering 2018 to 2021, the total admission targets for all immigration categories have been set to 350,000.
As of today, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is 5,100 ITAs ahead of the 54,700 that it had issued at this same point in 2018.
The Express Entry system is Canada’s principal source of skilled foreign workers. It manages the profiles of candidates for Canada’s three Federal High Skilled economic class immigration programs; the Federal Skilled Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and Canadian Experience Class. Eligible candidates are entered into the Express Entry pool and are ranked based on a CRS score that considers factors such as age, education, skilled work experience and proficiency in English or French language.
Eligible Candidates: Eligible candidates for these categories are entered into the Express Entry pool and assigned a ranking score based on factors such as age, education, work experience, and proficiency in English or French.
The highest-ranked candidates are invited to apply for Canadian permanent residency through regular draws from the pool.
About 640 Nigerians in South Africa have been registered to return home.
The Chairman of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this to journalists on Monday after a closed-door meeting with the Senate Committee on Diaspora in Abuja.
The announcement came days after the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, had a similar meeting with the committee.
The series of meetings comes on the hills of xenophobic attacks in South Africa which left properties of foreigners, including Nigerians, destroyed.
President Muhammadu Buhari had sent a special envoy, Ahmed Abubakar, to South Africa to meet with President Cyril Ramophosa on the issue. Mr Abubakar has since returned to the country and has briefed the president on the outcome of the meeting.
The president had also ordered the evacuation of willing Nigerians from South Africa.
A Nigerian private airline, Air Peace, has volunteered to evacuate Nigerians willing to return from South Africa.
Although the process was suspended due to expired travel passports of some of the returnees, Ms Dabiri-Erewa said the returnees will be home soon.
“As I speak with you now, we have 640 Nigerians voluntarily registered to come home and they will be home in a couple of days and we believe that more will still be coming to register.
“Two planes will convey them. the envoy will be briefing the president. When we receive the first two batches, we will know how many more will come. With the envoy’s briefing to the president, we will be having everything in place,” she said.
The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa had earlier said over 500 Nigerians would start returning from Wednesday.
Ms Dabiri-Erewa explained that emergency travel documents will be made for returnees with expired passports. She also said returnees will be encouraged to enrol in entrepreneurial programmes as Nigeria will continue to demand compensation from the South African government.
“They went on their own and have volunteered to come back. They belong to states as well but on the part of the federal government, we have the GEEP programme that we encourage them to enrol in, small scale entrepreneurial programme with the Bank of Industry, Special Intervention Programme also.
Ms Dabiri-Erewa further disclosed that eight police officers had been charged to court for their involvement in killings of Nigerians in South Africa and four more were recently arrested.
She also urged Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and avoid volatile areas.
For the Nigerian, Elizabeth Chukwu, who was killed while attending a conference in South Africa, she said the government was still waiting for the results of the compensation.
“They promised us to get the result. Also, there must be consequences for actions. If policemen or your people go out killing people and nothing happens to them, it will continue to happen. So South Africa should tell their people to put a stop to it. We believe a lot of education and awareness need to go to the South Africans on the street who believe that the foreigners are their problem.
“Four policemen were arrested and charged to court over the killing of a Nigerian in his house a while ago and in the case of Mrs Chukwu, the case has been made a “high profile case and is being handled by a brigadier general. We are saying let these cases end so we’ll know the result.
“That’s the first time that South Africa is charging its policemen to court. For this particular issue, no life was lost but properties were damaged.
“The South African government has said that this will stop but their government needs to show the political will that it will stop and to do so, prosecute perpetrators of the crime. If you say cases are in court, let the cases end. Killing is a criminal offence and should be treated as such.”
On his part, the Chairman of the Committee, Ajibola Bashiru, said parliamentary communications were being made through the Interparliamentary Union to ensure the issue is raised at parliamentary level.
“These matters are more of the executive level regarding the issues of rule of law and political will. In as much as we are relating to the parliament of South Africa, we must know clearly that this is a turf that executive action is much needed. What we do is get a briefing from our executive arm and we give whatever legislative support that may be required in order to ensure that they carry out that mandate,” he said.
Nigeria’s leading financial institution, Zenith Bank Plc, is set to light up the social and entertainment scene this month with the announcement of the Bank’s “Aspire Music Festival”.
Dubbed as the most anticipated entertainment event of the year, the music festival holds on Saturday, September 21, 2019 by 8.00pm at the Harbour Point Event Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos.
The breathtaking festival promises to be a night to remember, as it will feature captivating and thrilling musical performances by some of Nigeria’s biggest artistes including Olamide, Flavour, Phyno, Niniola, Mayorkun and Rema.
The Aspire Musical Festival, which is a must attend event for music lovers, tourists and fun seekers, is one of a series of events lined up by Zenith Bank to usher in “Style by Zenith 2.0”, the bank’s annual lifestyle fair which will take place towards the end of the year.
Attendance at the music festival is exclusively reserved for Zenith Bank customers. However, non-Zenith customers can still participate by simply opening a Zenith Bank account and registering to attend at www.zenithbank.com/style.
Zenith Bank Plc is recognized as one of the most innovative financial institutions in Nigeria and was voted the most customer-focused bank in Nigeria for the Retail and SME segments in the 2018 KPMG Annual Banking Industry Customer Satisfaction Survey (BICSS).
A housewife, Talatu, on Monday, dragged her husband, Nasiru Sulaiman, before a Sharia Court ll, sitting in Magajin Gari, Kaduna State, seeking legal divorce saying she has been sexually starved for five years.
Talatu, 35, who resides in Makera, Kaduna, told the court that Sulaiman denied her sex for five years.
“We have six children but he has refused to enroll them in school. I enrolled them but he pulled them out, saying that I want to change their belief from his school of thoughts.
“For nine months now they have not been to school.
“The house we live in is dilapidated. It is infested by rats, He gives me only N300 to feed his seven children.
“Sometimes I go out to do menial jobs to assist the family but he accuses me of prostitution. I can’t continue living with him. I want a divorce,” she said.
The defendant, Sulaiman, denied the allegations made his wife.
”When I left, my wife was pregnant. When I came back, she told me that he had an abortion because she does not want to bear any child,” he said.
Sulaiman admitted that he gives his wife N300 daily because he has all the foodstuffs in the house.
The judge, Murtala Nasir, ordered both parties to settle their problems amicably.
Mr Nasir adjourned the case until September 23 for report on settlement or continuation of hearing.
Busola Dakolo has asked the founder and Senior Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly, Biodun Fatoyinbo, to tender a public apology to her and also compensate her with N10m for allegedly raping her when she was a teenager, according to court papers seen by Channels Television.
Through her lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, Dakolo, who is wife of musician, Timi, asked Fatoyinbo to place the apology on the front page of at least two national newspapers and two national television stations for seven days running consecutively.
She also demanded that the COZA founder address a ‘personal apology letter’ showing honest remorse for his misdeed.
In her suit, Dakolo said that Fatoyinbo “forcefully pushed her unto a couch close to the front door of her house, undressed her, caressed her body, fondled her breasts, exposed his genitals to her glare, forcing a bottle of soda (Krest) down her throat thereby making her breathing difficult.”
She claimed that by covering her mouth to muffle her screams, Fatoyinbo threatened her life on September 23, 2002.
According to her, these actions “both jointly and/or severally are outrageous and reckless and have caused her emotional distress” amounting to intentional infliction of emotional distress on her.
Dakolo further stated that on another occasion on September 26, 2002, Fatoyinbo drove her in a car to a secluded area, forcefully pulled her out of the car, undressed her, spanked her buttocks, threatened her life, caressed her body, fondled her breasts and exposed his genitals to her glare.
She described the sexual intercourse the clergyman allegedly had with her on both days, jointly and/or severally as outrageous and reckless and amounts to intentional infliction of distress on her.
Mrs Dakolo also asked the court to declare that Fatoyinbo’s denial of his alleged acts contained jointly and/or severally through a press statement he released on June 28, 2019, had caused her continuous emotional distress and amounted to intentional infliction of emotional distress on her.
According to the court paper, Fatoyinbo is expected to cause an appearance to be entered for him in an action at the suit of Dakolo within 14 days of being served. (SaharaReporters)