West African Boxing Union (WABU) welterweight champion, Rilwan “Baby Face” Babatunde, and national super featherweight champion, Ridwan “Scorpion” Oyekola, have promised to return to the ring in an explosive fashion at GOtv Boxing Night 20, scheduled to hold on 12 October.
The two shinning stars are billed to fight at the event slated for the Indoor Sports Hall of the National Stadium in Lagos. In his last fight at GOtv Boxing Night 19, Baby Face famously knocked out Ghana’s Eden Biki, who was punched into unconsciousness in the 10th round. The WABU champion next opponent is Jafaaru Suleiman.
Speaking in Lagos on Monday, the WABU champion said he’s already looking beyond Sulaimon, whom he said he plans to use as preparation for the African Boxing Union title bout.
“Sulaimon is not an opponent in the real sense. He’s a training apparatus. I’m looking beyond the fight, as my target is the ABU title,” he said.
Oyekola, whose last engagement saw him dethrone long-reigning champion, Taofeek “Taozon” Bisuga at GOtv Boxing Night 18 in Ibadan, said his next opponent, Sikiru “Omo Iya Eleja” Shogbesan, will suffer the same fate as Bisuga, who suffered a first-round technical knockout after falling thrice. The Ibadan-based boxer, who spoke in a phone chat, advised Shogbesan to pull out of the bout or risk being beaten legless.
“There is no dispute about me being the best in my category. Bisuga is well placed to tell Shogbesan how I made him see stars. If Shogbesan ignores my advice, the walls of the Indoor Sports Hall will appear to him as wobbling by the time I finish with him,” said Scorpion.
GOtv Boxing Night 20 will be headlined by the much anticipated pairing of ABU lightweight king, Oto “Joe Boy” Joseph, and WABU champion, Rilwan “Real One” Oladosu, who face each other in the ABU title bout. Also on the card is the national bantamweight title bout between Sadiq Adeleke and Opeyemi “Sense” Adeyemi.
Other bouts include a national welterweight challenge a national light heavyweight challenge bout between Adewale “Masevex” Masebinu and Kabiru “KB Godson Towolawi; and a national featherweight challenge bout between Tope “TP Rock” Musa and Olusegun “Embargo” Moses.
Graduates of GOtv Boxing NextGen Search 5 will also make their debut at the event as Alaba “Elybow” Omotola, best boxer of the competition, will take on Bolaji “Fight to Finish” Abdullahi in a national lightweight challenge contest.
There is also an all-female bout as Cynthia “Bobby Girl” Ogunsemilore will square up against Aminat “Smart” Yekini in a super featherweight challenge.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mrs Shulamite Olufunke Adebolu, has called on the private sector to emulate Multichoice in supporting the country’s creative sector.
Adebolu made the call on Thursday at the graduation ceremony of the inaugural class of MultiChoice Talent Factory (West Africa) Academy, which held at the Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos. Speaking at the ceremony, the Commissioner said the MultiChoice Talent Factory initiative which aims to provide the next generation of film and video professionals with world-class skills, is in line with the Lagos State Government’s vision to make the state the entertainment and tourism hub of the African continent.
Adebolu enjoined the private sector and key industry stakeholders to collaborate with the government to build capacity. She also urged local and foreign experts to establish world class training institutions such as the MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy in the creative sector.
While congratulating the 20 graduates, Adebolu urged them to ensure that they change the African narrative of “gloom and doom” through their movies and television productions.
The MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy was launched last year as one of the three key touchpoints of the MultiChoice Talent Factory initiative, which aims at upskilling film/television professionals. The Academy provides a year-long, full tuition
Excellence in mathematics needs the creativity and the patience of an artist. This is the best route to solving mathematics equation, according to Master Philip Jesulayomi Awodiya, a contestant in the on-going Season 5 of the Cowbellpedia Secondary Schools Mathematics Television Quiz Show sponsored by Cowbell Milk, the flagship brand of Promasidor Nigeria Limited.
Phillip, a student representing Bibo Oluwa Academy, Ilesa, Osun State explained that the steps involved in solving mathematics problems are similar to the intrinsic patience and creativity needed by an artist in his work.
He added that each time he set out to draw as an artist, the calculation that involves Mathematics, helps in bringing out the creativity of the art work.
“All that is required in tackling a mathematical problem is creative thinking and as an artist, the in-built mechanism is already there and that to a large extent, gives me the desired edge”, he said.
In the Senior category preliminary Group F (week 6) contest last weekend in Lagos, Philip in the company of Master Oghenero Ologe of Zionfield Private School, Lagos dusted the remaining four contestants in that category to clinch the two semifinal tickets.
Those who were shut out of contention include Abbey-Ollo Flourish of Faith Academy Goshen, Karu, Nasarawa State; David Durojaiye of PHCN Staff Secondary School Sapele, Delta State; Chekezie Ezenwa of Marist Brothers Juniorate, Uturu Abia State, and Richard Johnson of Saint Peter’s College, Idah, Kogi State.
In the Junior category, Favour Ezekiel of Topfaith International Secondary School, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and Faithful Unimashi of Saint Annes High school, Calabar, Cross River State grabbed the semi-final tickets.
The effort by the duo halted the march of four of their colleagues in the competition. These include Ahmed Fatimah of Elkanemi College Maiduguri, Borno State; Aliyu David of Federal Government Academy Suleja, Niger State; Great Akpieye of Topfaith International School, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and Okoye Ogochukwu of Graceland International School Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Favour, who is still basking in the euphoria of her semi-final qualification, vow to give her best in the ‘battle’ to the final. “My Mummy has always encouraged me to give my best shot in this competition and I think that has helped me to this point and I believe it’s going to take me to the next level and possibly the crown,” she said.
The quiz show which will run for 13 weeks is divided into nine preliminary stages and three semi-finals before the grand finale in November 2019. The organisers also promised that this year’s edition would be more educative and fun-filled as Cowbellpedia is committed to “nurturing great inventors”.
Aside the N2 million grand prize, Managing Director of Promasidor Nigeria Limited, Mr. Anders Einarsson disclosed that the winner in each of categories, (junior and senior) will enjoy an all-expense paid educational excursion outside the country at the end of the initiative.
In addition, the first and second runners-up in each category will receive N1.5 million and N1 million respectively, while the teachers of the top prize winners will be awarded N500, 000. Those of the first and second runners-up will receive N400, 000 and N300, 000 respectively.
The 2019 edition of Cowbellpedia Secondary Schools Mathematic TV Quiz continues this weekend. It will be aired on DSTV Africa Magic Family Channel 154, AIT Network and other six television stations across the country.
The manager to Nigerian reggae musician Majaek Fashek says that contrary to rumours, the artist is not in fact dead.
Umenka Uzoma made this known via Fashek’s Instagram page on Sunday, September 15. According to him, reports on social media about Majek Fashek’s death are mere rumours. He also said the singer is responding to treatment and would require more donations and prayers from well-meaning fans and individuals.
The Instagram post said:
“9:30 PM from London in Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Today is Sunday, this is to inform all the well-wishers, fans and lovers of Majek Fashek back in Nigeria that Majek is not dead, he is very fine. I just stepped out now because of this ongoing music that people are saying that he is dead. Let’s not wish him dead, let’s join hands and pray for him.
“Majek Fashek is Alive pls share this video all fans well wishers and Jah people pls let’s continue praying for him and stop listening to people doing propaganda and scandals ………he is improving gradually,responding to treatments ,greetings from the legendary Majek Fashek.
“Also pls to get better Info contact us here …..or through our numbers or watsap +2348023689650/+447448512502/+16822466621 official_majekfashek pls share in all platforms.
“For those of you that are praying, prayers are working, every day there is a gradual improvement. We need funds, we need money for maintenance. The notable Nigerians that deposited for his medication…but we still need money for other things. We also heard that people are raising money which is without our consent…
Uzoma’s statement is coming after news of the reggae icon’s reported death started making.
Daily Sun had earlier reported on unconfirmed news that the musician had died based off of media reports, but have since updated our reporting to reflect the latest, official information.
The manager had last week announced that Majek Fashek was gravely ill at a London hospital. (The Sun)
- LASG commends lender for CSR projects
Fidelity Bank Plc, top Nigerian lender has handed over a well-equipped, state-of-the-art Kitchen/Catering Laboratory for the use of students at the Girls Correctional Home, Idi-Araba, Lagos. The project, according to the bank, is a clear demonstration of its unwavering support towards enhancing the lives and wellbeing of less privileged members of the society.
Speaking at the commissioning ceremony in Lagos recently, the bank’s Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Nnamdi Okonkwo said that the decision to embark on the project is borne out of a deep-seated realisation that vocational education remains vital to the development of any society.
Okonkwo who was represented the bank’s Head of Legal Division, Kingsley Ohiri thanked the Ministry of Youth & Social Development for giving them the opportunity to partner with the State and hoped to do more in the future. He also mentioned the bank had, in the past, carried out some CSR projects in the State such as the Correctional Centre for Boys, Birrel Avenue, Yaba where vocational training tools were provided for the use of wards at the centre.
While commissioning the project, the Commissioner for Youth and Social Development, Olusegun Dawodu said that the kitchen would provide the children the means to learn a new vocation which they would use to benefit themselves and the society at large.
Dawodu also reiterated the resolve of the State Government to prioritise the needs of the teeming youth saying, “The Lagos State Government would continue to support and empower the children and youth in the State with relevant skills in order to play active roles in the Nigerian economy, thereby creating wealth and reducing the rate of unemployment and criminal activities among the youths and children”.
He specifically thanked Fidelity Bank for supporting the Government and especially the youths in the State by initiating and extending their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to ensure that the society is impacted positively.
On her own part, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Yewande Falugba, emphasised the need for well-meaning Nigerians and organisations to emulate Fidelity Bank by partnering with the State Government in ensuring the social well-being of the youths and children.
The Nigerian Electricity Regulation Commission says Eko Electricity Distribution Company recorded the highest remittance efficiency of 43 per cent in the first quarter of 2019.
The first quarter report was obtained on Sunday by the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos from the website of NERC, which is the regulator of the industry.
NERC also said Jos and Kaduna DisCos had the lowest performance of 9.8 per cent and 13.1 per cent respectively during the same period.
The Commission also expressed concern on the significant drops in Enugu and Ikeja DisCos’a remittance rate from 34 per cent and 42 per cent in the last quarter of 2018 to 30 per cent and 39 per cent respectively in the first quarter of 2019.
NERC said the liquidity challenge in the Nigerian electricity industry has continued to manifest during the first quarter of 2019.
The report also said the challenge of poor remittance has remained a serious concern to the commission as it is one of the main causes of the liquidity crisis facing the Nigerian electricity supply industry.
The report said: “As highlighted in the preceding quarters, low remittance adversely affects the ability of Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading to honour its financial obligations to GenCos.
“Service providers Transmission Service Provider (TSP), Market Operator (MO) and NERC also struggle with the paucity of funds impacting their capacity to perform their statutory obligations.
“The individual performance indicates that four DisCos recorded an increase in remittance performance in the first quarter of 2019.
“None of the DisCos remitted up to 50 per cent of their market invoice and the aggregate combined invoice settlement rate for all DisCos declined to 28 per cent.”
On Aggregate Technical, Commercial and Collection reduction, NERC said EKEDC recorded the highest progress in reducing ATC&C losses, decreasing from 42.2 per cent to 29.8 per cent (12.5 percentage point decrease) in the first quarter of 2019.
The Commission also said other DisCos that recorded relative improvement in their ATC&C losses during the quarter under review were Ibadan, Ikeja, Jos, Kaduna and Kano.
It said the average ATC&C for all the DisCos in the first quarter of 2019 increased to 48.72 per cent from 46.96 recorded in the preceding quarter.
The report said: “This increase in the overall ATC&C was largely due to the increase in collection losses which increased by 4.2 percentage points during the quarter and still account for the largest share of the aggregate losses.
“Similar to the preceding quarter, the ATC&C losses are still substantially greater than the expected industry average of 26 per cent – the allowable ATC&C losses provided in the Multi-Year Tariff Order ( MYTO) for the year 2019.”
NERC said the high ATC&C losses reflect low investments in distribution networks aggravated by the low level of metering of end-use customers, thus creating lingering liquidity challenge to the industry.
It said’ “The implication of the level of the ATC&C losses in the first quarter of 2019 is that, on average, as much as N4.87 in every N10 worth of energy received by a DisCo was unrecovered.
“This is due to a combination of energy theft, inefficient distribution networks, weak management effort in revenue collection, and low metering and willingness to pay by customers.”
In a fresh application filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja, Mr Omoyele Sowore, Convener of #RevolutionNow protest, who is being held by the Department of State Services, has asked for bail in liberal terms.
Sowore filed the fresh application on Friday after his failed bid to have the court hear his earlier one challenging the detention order issued against him by Justice Taiwo Taiwo on July 8, 2019.
The affidavit he filed in support of the application stated in part, “That the applicant (Sowore) herein has never been charged with any criminal offence whatsoever.
“That the Nigeria police also conducted investigation on the matter and made its findings public.
“That the persons who participated in the protests of August 5, 2019, were charged with the offence of unlawful assembly at the Magistrates’ Court in Ebute Meta, Lagos State, Osogbo in Osun State and Calabar(Cross River).
“That on August 9, 2019, the applicant filed an application to set aside, discharge and/or vacate the said ex parte order permitting his detention for 45 days.”
The security agency had accused Sowore, the SaharaReporters publisher and presidential candidate of the African Action Congress in the last February 2019 poll, of planning to topple the President Muhammadu Buhari government, through the protest.
Sowore denied the coup allegations insisting that he only mobilised Nigerians to protest against bad governance and other vices.
Following an ex parte application by the DSS, Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the same Abuja division of the Federal High Court, on August 8, issued a detention order permitting the security agency to hold the activist for 45 days to enable it to conclude investigations.
On August 9, 2018, Sowore, through his lead counsel, Mr Femi Falana (SAN), filed a motion challenging the detention order.
But the efforts of his team of lawyers to make the court to hear the application which was filed over a month ago, have yet to yield any result.
In his fresh application which he filed on Friday, Sowore’s lawyers argued that the DSS had completed its investigations, adding that by Section 28 (4) of the Terrorism Prevention (Amendment) Act, 2013 “a person detained pursuant to Section 27 (1) can be admitted to bail by this honourable court.”
One of his lawyers, Marshal Abubakar, who deposed to the affidavit filed in support of the application, prayed the court grant bail to Sowore in liberal terms, The Punch reports.
He added that the activist had responsible persons who could stand as sureties for him.
The supporting affidavit read in part, “That no criminal charge whatsoever has been brought against the applicant herein.
“That the applicant undertakes not to interfere with the investigation of this case or make contacts with the witnesses of the respondent.”