No fewer than two officials of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) have been electrocuted in the Obalende area of Lagos Island, Lagos State.
Confirming the incident on Sunday, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said the case was reported to the Lion Building Division of the command by another member of staff of the EKEDC from the Lagos Island at about 5.55 p.m. on Saturday, May 20.
Hundeyin disclosed that the EKEDC worker reported that on Saturday, one of his colleagues simply identified as Umaru, aged 51, got electrocuted while digging to locate a faulty transformer cable at the P&T Obalende area.
READ ALSO: Telecom operators to disconnect banks over N120bn USSD debt
He said: “In the process, another colleague named Sunday Awaruwa, 48 years old, who tried to rescue the victim was also electrocuted.
“Based on the report, detectives visited and photographed the scene, rescued the victims, and rushed them to the Lagos Island General Hospital, where they were confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
“Their remains were deposited at the IDH Morgue, Yaba for autopsy. Meanwhile, investigation is in progress.”